Two new teachers join the school in September. Mr. Rob Fitzsimons, who will join Year 2, has a specialism in English, is studying for National Professional Qualification in Middle Leadership, and has been a Maths and Geography specialist. He has been involved in amateur dramatics and runs chess, drama, football, athletics and maths clubs at the school in which he is currently teaching.
Miss Laura Merrifield will take a Reception class as a qualified Early Years specialist. She has a passion for creative writing and singing, drama and dance. She also has a Forest School qualification, which is where children learn the benefits of learning outdoors. She is also very interested in special educational needs and can do Makaton signing.
In addition, Mrs. Pandya will become a full-time teacher. Mrs. Pandya has worked as a Teaching Assistant and Learning Support Assistant for many years, most recently covering Mrs. Hopkins’ maternity leave as Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). In parallel, Mrs. Pandya has been teaching part-time at St. Helen’s for some years as an unqualified teacher, but she will complete her training this year and will become a form teacher in September.
Mrs. Hopkins will return from her maternity leave in September. She will resume her role as SENCo and will teach history, as a specialist teacher, in Years 5 and 6.
Mrs. Tiernan will be retiring after ten years of outstanding service, but will continue next year with a few hours of teaching at the Lower School. Mrs. Hussein and Mrs. de Mattos, who have provided superb teaching and pastoral care in Year 2 during Miss Maxwell’s sick leave, will be leaving also.
Form Teachers for September
Form teachers for the next academic year will be as follows.
· Mrs. Mann and Ms Carmichael will continue with the Sunshine and Rainbow Nurseries, respectively.
· N1 will become R1 with Miss Merrifield.
· N2 will become R2 with Mrs. Matthews.
· R1 will become 1S with Mrs. Sweeney.
· R2 will become 1H with Mrs. Hunt.
· 1H will become 2C with Miss Cooper.
· 1S will become 2F with Mr. Fitzsimons.
· 2C will become 3P with Mrs. Pandya.
· 2H will become 3B with Mrs. Belvoir.
· 3B will become 4T with Mrs. Thompson.
· 3T will become 4A with Mrs. Allery.
· 4A will become 5S with Mrs. Simmons.
· 4T will become 5W with Miss Wallis.
· 5S will become 6L with Mrs. Savage.
· 5W will become 6S with Mrs. Stark.
In addition to the form teachers listed, all children benefit from specialist teaching. This starts in a limited fashion in the Nursery and Reception classes, where drama, music, Philosophy for Children and Spanish are taught by specialists, and increases as the children move up through the school. This year, for the first time, the Year 5 and 6 classes will be taught by specialist or very experienced subject teachers for all subjects.