Did you know?
- There are over 2500 types of apples grown across the world.
- A Pink Lady apple is a cross between a Golden Delicious and a Lady Williams apple.
- Golden Delicious apples are the favourite choice for using in salads, apple sauce and apple butter.
- Braeburn apples contain lots of Vitamins A & C.
- John Chapman, who introduced apples to East Coast USA in the 1700s, was nicknamed 'Johhny Appleseed' because he travelled the United States planting apple trees.
The children had the opportunity to taste apples in different forms; stewed (with no sugar added!), juiced (the children enjoyed helping with this process), and cut into slices so they could compare the tastes of different apple types.
See below for our picture gallery and a selection of apple poems written by the children.
by Tia (2H)
Royal Galas are sweet as you,
Yellow apples, green apples are sweet as you,
Allowing us to eat them all day, as they are one of your 5 a day,
Lovely apples are very tasty.
Grainy apples are tasty too,
Apples are healthy, apples are sweet, apples are
Lovely to eat,
An apple a day keeps the Doctor away.
by Joshua (2M)
Apples are nice.
Especially when they are sliced.
Even in a crumble,
They make my tummy rumble.
Apples can be big or small,
But they are never very tall.
Red apples are sweet,
Green apples are crunchy,
I love apples because they are munchy!