School History & Old Helenians
St. Helen’s College was founded in 1924 as a private school for girls aged 4 to 16. The photo on the right was taken during that period, and kindly donated by a pupil of that 1928 class.
The original school building at 281 Long Lane was bombed during World War II, and Mrs. Hempstead, who by this time had succeeded the founding Heads, moved the school to 223 Long Lane where lessons continued during the war years.
The school moved to its present site in Parkway in 1948, began to admit boys and restricted the age of pupils to 11. Following her retirement, Mrs. Hempstead followed the progress of the school with interest until her death, at the grand age of 103, in 2010.
Mrs. Evans took over as Headmistress in 1970, and was succeeded by Mr. and Mrs. Crehan, the current owners, in 1987. In 2016, Mr. and Mrs. Crehan moved into new roles as Principals and the current Head, Mrs. Drummond, was appointed.
The Lower School was established in Long Lane in 1999, and the Upper School facilities have been developed gradually over the last ten years. There are now approximately 350 pupils at the school.
I feel that the school strives to improve all the time
Lasting friendships flourish at St. Helen’s College and ex-pupils and their families retain strong links with each other and with the school.
Each year, many Old Helenians return to school to support events such as Sports Day, the Summer Fete and the Year 6 musical at the Compass Theatre.
Many have enrolled their own children to St. Helen’s College and links with some families stretch back over decades. Once a member of the St. Helen’s College family, always a member!
If you are an ex-pupil or an ex-staff member and would like to register with the Old Helenians Association, we would be delighted to hear from you! Please contact us at email@example.com or telephone us on 01895 234371. Old Helenians receive news from the school and are invited back to reunion events.